Neurology is the branch of medicine that treats diseases of the nervous system; the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. This encompasses such common problems as epilepsy, slipped disks, spinal and head injuries, meningitis, cancer of the nervous system and cerebellar ataxia.
If your pet is experiencing any of the following symptoms you should consider consulting with a neurologist:
* Seizure disorders
* Uncoordinated gait
* Balance and equilibrium issues
* Change in behavior
The diagnosis of your pet’s neurological condition can range from brain to spinal; listed below are common diagnoses:
* Tumor or mass on brain or spine
* Inflammation of brain or spine
* Infection located in brain or spinal tissue
* Cyst in brain cavity or spinal cavity
* Intervertebral disc herniation
* Wobblers Syndrome
* Trauma to the brain
* Spinal fractures
Our board certified neurologist, Dr. Filippo Adamo, performs cutting-edge technology surgeries on patients; most recently, he developed and tested the first artificial disc implant for the canine spine.
Common neurological surgeries performed by Dr. Filippo Adamo are:
* Shunt placement in the brain
* Craniotomy (reduces swelling of brain)
* Spinal fracture repair
* Muscle nerve biopsy (common in pets with paralysis)
* Artificial disk implantation
* Hemilaminectomy (treatment for pinched nerve)
Some of the tests we perform to diagnose your pet are: MRI, CT scan, and spinal taps.
Neurologic conditions and the resulting surgeries typically present in a pet acutely and urgently. In this complex field, there is little margin for error, making early diagnosis and proper treatment especially important.